Confident people always make frequent and direct eye contact.
There are 8 forms of non-verbal communication and eye contact is one of the most valuable non-verbal means of communication you can use. So much of what we want to communicate can be delivered through our eyes. One glance from another person can speak volumes about that person’s level of confidence and their attitude.
How many times have fights broken out simply because one person looked at the other person “the wrong way”?
- Eye contact means looking directly at another person, focusing on their eyes.
- Looking directly at another person while you are speaking suggests that you be listened to and be taken seriously.
- Looking to the side or looking down while speaking to another person suggests avoidance, insincerity, dishonesty, insecurity and jeopardizes your credibility.
- When you enter a room slowly “scan the room” and gently making eye contact with everyone.
- Direct eye contact is confident, assertive and also shows your interest in listening to others.
“Never bend your head. Always hold it high. Look the world straight in the face.”